Fair Grove Student Selected to Perform for District Honor Band

Amanda Orr

Kaitlyn Masters, (12), was picked to perform at SBU on Saturday January, 13 for the district honor band. Masters is one of the few Fair Grove students to have been given this honor in years. Around 7 years or more to be precise. 72 high school students will be performing on the 13th. Out of that there will be 10 to 12 trumpeters, and one of those trumpeters will include Ms. Masters herself. Ms. Palomo, Fair Grove’s band instructor, comments, “I’m very proud of Kaitlyn for making it this far. The fact that she was able to work on audition materials, memorize new scales in multiple octaves, and hold her composure during a high-pressure audition, is only a testament to her work ethic and dedication to music.”

One of the many things Masters had to do was learn 5 scales in full range of the trumpet, and also learn 10 excerpts from difficult etudes in trumpet books. She had to do some sight-reading meaning she went into her audition and was given a  random piece of material and had to play it on the spot. Kaitlyn Masters, (12), states, “It’s an honor to be selected to perform in the honor band. It is nice to be able to play with the best in the district.” The district honor band will play at 6:30pm, and admission is free to attend.