Fair Grove’s Annual Weight Meet

Thomas Bruemmer

On Saturday, February 3rd, Fair Grove hosted its annual weight meet; open to high school athletes around Southwest Missouri. The weight meet started at 9 o’clock in the morning, and consisted of athletes from many different schools around southwest Missouri. The total amount of athletes that participated in the competition was 285, while Fair Grove athletes numbered somewhere in the 30’s. The weight meet was open to all high school grades, and genders, in Southwest Missouri. The majority of Fair Grove weightlifters consisted of student athletes that participate in the Fair Grove football program.

According to the Fair Grove offensive line coach, Ryan Buffington, all returning Fair Grove football players are required to attend at least one weightlifting meet during the football offseason. “We require all football players to attend one weight meet each year. Most of them decide to attend our own weight meet,” Buffington said.

The Fair Grove football coaches were the main driving force behind the organization of the weight meet. The coaches who organized this, and helped with the meet consisted of Bill Voorhis, Ryan Buffington, Jeremy Faubion, and Mark Talbert. The high school vice-principal and athletic director, Christian Overstreet, and many volunteers, also played a part in the organization, and operation of the weight meet. Thanks to the effort of theses coaches, and volunteers, the successful weight meet was able to raise a large amount of money for the Fair Grove athletics program. All of the profits will be used to pay off the expenses for the weight meet. The leftover profits will be invested into the Fair Grove weight room, in hopes that new lifting equipment will benefit all Fair Grove students, and sports.

The weight meet consisted of a large amount of students from across Southwest Missouri, but a select few Fair Grove athletes did very well and rose to the top. Isaac Mauldin placed first in his weight division, and Noah Sandridge Also placed in his weight division. A Few other successful athletes that lifted a combined weight of over 1000 pounds consisted of Colton Dame, Seth Parfitt, and Garrett Love.