Fair Grove Students had a Ball at Prom

Prom Queen, Sydney Foster (12), and Ryan Padgett (12), dance the night away.

Makayla Hodges, , and

On May 5th Fair Grove High School hosted their 2018 Prom, the dance was themed “Arabian Nights” and was a huge success among students and faculty. This year the dance was held at The Executive Conference Center and 910 Ballroom in Springfield, the dance lasted from 7:00 in the evening until 11:00 O’clock at night. Amy Johnson, a teacher at Fair Grove High School and the the National Honor Society (NHS) teacher representative, has been apart of the prom planning experience since she started teaching here, “I typically deal more with the financial part but the last 2 years I have stepped back in to planning, decorating, and organizing,” Johnson said. Planning and putting together prom takes “months and months” of long work, “We start talking about themes in January, picking decorations and making items in February – March,” Johnson stated.

Decorating for the event takes several hours; the set up crew got to the venue at 9:00 am and was hard at work until 1:00 pm, and then that afternoon Johnson had to meet the DJ and help the caterer set up. This year’s venue worked perfectly for the size of the dance “I really like this place because it is such a clean slate to decorate however we wanted,” Johnson said. The decorations this year were all “Arabian Nights” themed, with different colored curtains and tapestries hanging from the walls and ceilings, and origami elephants at every table. “The Middle School origami club along with Ms. Brannock made elephants to add to our centerpieces,” Johnson said, “It is different than anything we have ever done,” Johnson added.

This years prom committee consisted of 5 seniors, Mattie Coban, Adriana Hammonds, Elizabeth Perryman, Sarah Locke, and Kelsey Thompson. “This year really came together, the members of Prom Committee did a great job putting all our ideas together,” Johnson stated, “They were a great team to work with,” added Johnson. During the middle of the event the dance floor was cleared for the crowning of prom King and Queen, this year’s prom Queen was Sydney Foster (12) and prom King was Mark Cockroft (12). “I felt shocked and very honored to be prom king, I was excited and a little nervous. Prom was a blast, I’m glad a won,” Cockroft stated. Other awards were given out towards the end of the night. The best dressed female awards went to Amanda Orr (12), Adriana Hammonds (12), and Gracie Rowden (11), the best dressed male awards went to Eli Marlow (11), Deegan Brake (11), and Drew Edwards (12), and the best dressed couple award went to Logan Holiman (11) and Brystol Bates (11). Johnson said, “The event went so smoothly this year, no bumps or issues and everyone seemed to have a really good time. I enjoy planning but I love to see it all come together!”