Suicide Prevention; You Are Not Alone

Ryan Odom

Suicide is serious problem among teenagers and a lot of us don’t realise how big of an issue it is.  It is the second leading cause of death for teenagers, right behind accidental death. Around 45,000 people in America alone commit suicide each year and 800,000 around the globe according to the CDC. That equals out to a person with friends, a family, and a life killing themself every 40 seconds.  This is a serious problem in our nation and around the world, but it can be helped.

No matter who you are or what situation you are in, there is always someone there for you.  You have friends and family that will care for you. You can even go to trained professionals who specialize in counseling.  In the Fair Grove High School, we have our School Counselor, Tonya Peck. Mrs. Peck states, “Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death in youth today.  One out of every six youth have considered suicide in the past 12 months! These statistics are alarming and we need to make others aware. This month is a great time to share, not just statistics, but also resources and ways to help those that are struggling.”  If you have suicidal thoughts, talk to someone about it. Keeping it to yourself to fester inside will only make it worse.

Suicide doesn’t take the pain away, it only passes it to someone else.  If you think the world is a better place without you, you’re wrong. You matter.  Mrs. Peck adds, “The advice I would want our students to have is to not be afraid to talk to someone.  I am available anytime and so are our teachers and administrators. We truly care about each and every student and do not want them to go through this alone.  Also, I want to encourage all students to not be afraid to let a trusted adult know if they are aware that someone is struggling with suicidal thoughts.” If you or someone you know has suicidal thoughts or tendencies, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline.  It is available toll-free 24 hours everyday at 1-800-273-8255.