Starting My Senior Year Strong

Jane Elliston, a Senior at Fair Grove High School.

Jane Elliston

Third quarter is when the slump hits. Students are tired of school, and unable to concentrate. Their motivation has declined drastically and they are not capable of success. Kids dread going to school everyday; maybe sleep in a little too late. They try really hard to focus, but sometimes students just forget that occasional homework assignment. The ones with good GPAs tend to stress more than they should, because they just can’t get back into the groove….

You’re probably thinking, “Why are you telling me this? It is freaking, first quarter!” Well, that’s my problem. It’s the first quarter of my senior year and I have already reached that third quarter slump, or in my case would it be considered as the dreadful senioritis? Call it what you want: I never picked myself up after third quarter my junior year, I’m not taking school seriously, I am too distracted. So on and so forth. But maybe?

Wait. Hold on. Let me update my Snapchat story real quick. Sorry about that, where was I? Right.

But maybe I am just ahead of the game, catching senioritis the third quarter of my junior year. Maybe my constant procrastination is just me, embracing the fact that even if I start the assignment early, it is still going to be trashy. My lack of focus might just be that, I know in the end, all of this is just a letter on a piece of paper. A grade that will be judging me for the rest of my life on the amount of effort I was willing to put in place that one time in high school. So I fail a couple of quizzes, possibly a test here and there, but essentially the mistakes are teaching me a lesson. Maybe I should do an assignment or two, even study for a test?

Definitely.

Or maybe? I should have paced myself more through my high school career. Maybe I should not have stressed so much over those Physics packets and Spanish presentations, three weeks before they’re due. Maybe I should have told myself to, “Stop. Breathe a little, Janie. You got time.” So here goes to one more school year at Fair Grove High School as I sign off to work on my Chemistry packet….just after, I finish this season of Parks and Rec.

Editor’s Note: Jane Elliston is a Senior at Fair Grove High School, she writes about her life and the challenges she faces.