Should Schools Emphasize the Use of Technology?

Students utilize tech in Fair Grove High School

Madilyn Barker

“More than 50 percent of today’s jobs require some degree of technology skills, and experts say that percentage will increase to 77 percent in the next decade,” according to devex.com, with some numbers reaching up to 90% given by a recent study by Brookings Institution in 2017. Fair Grove takes these numbers seriously and provides many classes for students to take to become computer literate.

Sandra Robinson, technology teacher, remarks that, “…[Fair Grove High School] is always working to accommodate new technology by offering funds whenever funds are available.  Our department has always been encouraged to write grants for bigger purchases, and the district has made sure they provide the matching funds for any authorized vocational enhancement grants written by our department.” Fair Grove has several computer labs, many computer classes, and chromebooks in several classrooms.

Having technology emphasized in schools has many lasting impacts on students. “Technology is used in just about any career path and in many routine tasks. By using technology in education we are able to prepare students with the most relevant and updated learning environment,” Cayse Overstreet, a marketing and technology teacher at Fair Grove, explains. “You can also be sure you will need technology in your day-to-day life.”

Many of the technological classes are based on technology used in businesses, but can be applied in aspects of everyday life. One can never be sure where they will end up, and so, having the skills learnt in these classes is always beneficial. “Our courses are not just for “business” students… they are for everyone,” Overstreet says. “I am taking Business Tech because as everyone knows, our future lies in technology.  Any and all education of technology will help me in the future,” David Oplotnik (11) says, noting that, “Although it has only been half a quarter, I have learned so much that I can now use in other classes to make projects more detailed and creative.” Should technology be emphasized in schools? The evidence points to yes.

https://www.devex.com/news/technology-skills-training-critical-to-employ-low-income-youth-84377