Students Build Art and Friendships in Elementary LEGO Club

Elementary students enjoy their time at Lego Club

Nate Brigman

The Fair Grove School District has numerous extracurricular activities to offer, but the Elementary school’s activities more than often are overshadowed by the Middle and High School’s. LEGO Club is a prime example of the creative and interactive activities that the Elementary school has made available to its students.

Elementary LEGO Club is sponsored by teachers MaKenzie Medley and Catrina Gore, who both have undertaken the sponsorship of the club for the first time this school year with the help of the PTO. The LEGO Club has been present for several years, but for the last few it was without a sponsor. Regarding her decision to co-sponsor, Mrs. Medley said, “As a sponsor the most enjoyable part of LEGO Club for me is getting to know other students outside of my class. As a first year teacher I haven’t had much opportunity to meet other students. It’s an amazing experience getting to know other students at Fair Grove.”

LEGO Club is open to K-4 students, and already has approximately 140 students participating currently. Students are split up according to grade, with Kindergarten as one group, First and Second grade as another, and Third and Fourth grade as the final, with teachers/volunteers with each group, remarked Mrs. Medley. “As a team these people will pick two of the best creations from each group. Whoever wins gets to display their creation … in the library for a month, until the next LEGO club meeting,” she added. According to Mrs. Gore, the club’s essential LEGO blocks are provided by donations from teachers and the community, PTO funds, and recycled blocks from previous years.

Elementary LEGO Club meets the second Thursday of each month, with October’s meeting on Thursday the 11th and November’s meeting on the 8th.