• September 19We will be posting new articles weekly all school year!

• October 8Welcome To The FGHS News Website

The Legacy of Literacy

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Legacy of Literacy

Middle school students enjoy the book fair (2014)

Natalie Anglen

On October 15th through the 23rd, the first Scholastic Book Fair of the year will be taking place in the high school and middle school library. There are several new books coming, including The Grenade, Resistance, and Where She Fell. With brand new bestsellers, it is safe to assume that many eyes will be skimming and wallets will be slimming in the following week.

Over the past 30 years, the Scholastic Book Fair has been a popular place for not only enthusiastic 5th graders rushing to buy Invisible Ink Pens, but also where students can purchase and enjoy books they normally would never have the opportunity to. Mrs. Lemon, one of the high school and middle school librarians, said, “It helps to bring books to the students and it also encourages and motivates kids to read.” With a sense of independence, students feel like they have a better say in what type of books they get to read along with a sense of owning their own personal copy.

The Book Fair is substantially important because it broadens student’s perspectives and opinions towards the topic of literature. Therefore,  it is a prominent aspect of the educational spectrum. Mrs. Wahlquist, an English I teacher, elaborated, “Any time I can expose my students to reading, it’s a plus. I find that this school has more readers than many.” With a high percentage of readers at school, having new material to be read and evaluated will inevitably modernize the minds of several students.                             

Though the Book Fair contributes to students directly, it also contributes to them indirectly. The money earned goes not only to new books for the library, but also towards the classroom libraries as well. Therefore, though the Book Fair lasts only one full school week, it has the possibility to affect the school, specifically the knowledgeable minds within it, for years. Ultimately, bettering Fair Grove School academics as a whole.

Chris Juliano, a senior at Fair Grove, remembers many of the previous book fairs at school. Chis said, “It gives students chances to read and strengthens their imagination.” For avid readers like Chris, reading an average of seven hours a week, the book fair is the perfect way to fulfill a need for knowledge and encourage thoughtfulness. Through the book fair, years and years full of insightful comprehension is provided to the students and teachers. Overall, creating a cultivated atmosphere at Fair Grove.