Fair Grove’s New Security

Visitors must press the access button to enter into any Fair Grove School

Lillian Crum

This year Fair Grove Schools has enhanced their security measures. Although, they are not finished with their plans, Fair Grove has improved greatly. They have added bullet resistant film over the doors and alarms to know when the doors have been opened. Having offices at the Elementary, Middle School, and High School is a big plus, yet is not always the most effective. The exterior doors must be locked at all times, this is where the alarms allow them to see who is passing in and out.

Identification lanyards are a must for the students, teachers, and visitors. Visitors must have a yellow lanyard to show visitation purpose, and proceed through the front office for identification. Before you pass through the office, installed at the front entrance, you must stop and push the access control button to enter, which each buildings secretary has control over. All the classroom doors are locked at all times when teaching as well.

The quantity of security cameras is wished to be increased, partly because of the new technology in the Fair Grove school district. The school is also wishing to expand access control along other entrances. “The school is always looking to improve our security. We have installed the new access control system, which is fantastic; however, I would like to see us look to expand the current system to include more doors. It would be nice to have every exterior door connected to access control, so we know who is coming and going from the building, and it forces visitors to a single entry point into the building,” said Officer Greg Porter, the high school’s resource officer .

We can put all the safety and security measures in place to make our schools safer; however, the only crime we are able to truly stop is the one we are aware of prior to it taking place. With that said we need all our students, teachers, staff, parents, really everyone to keep an eye and ear out for things and when things do not sound right, those items must be reported. There are many things we are able to stop prior to them becoming a safety concern so regardless of what safety measures we increase to the buildings themselves, nothing can replace the people of our community to make our school safer. If you hear something or see something, you must report it,” Porter added. There are many things that Fair Grove Schools desire to add, but Fair Groves has already stretched to great lengths to keep the students, teachers, and staff safe.