Cross Country Makes a Run for State

Logan Holliman (12) finishes at districts

Jacob Morelan

On the morning of Saturday November 3rd, at Oak Hill golf course in Jefferson City, two Fair Grove Cross Country seniors, Ryan Odom and Logan Holliman, got ready to run their last and most nerve racking race of their high school running careers. However even with the whole support of the community and the teammates that traveled with them, no one could help them with the rain that cut their course preview prematurely. Even with this slight disadvantage Logan finished in 44th place and Ryan finished in 108th.

As the race time drew nearer and nearer the nerves began to rise, Ryan stating ”I was very nervous leading up to the run. This was my first time going to state and the last meet I was going to run as a high school student, so the nerves were high.” Although Logan agreed he added, “I think knowing that the school was excited for me and Ryan did help and reminded us that we weren’t alone when we finally lined up  on that starting line for the last time in our Fair Grove Cross Country career.”

Logan and Ryan were two out of 175 high school Class 2 runners on the same course during this race. Logan taking 44th place with a time of 18 minutes and 35 seconds. Ryan only a minute and 10 seconds behind got 108th place, he said, “… It was a very difficult course with lots of hills and I underestimated it.” While Logan was content with the run time and placement that he got. His favorite thing about it was just the experience. He stated, “The experience was incredible and fun, staying in a hotel is always exciting but when you can do it with your friends, it is always 10 times better. Also it gives you the opportunity to converse and get to know other teams.”