Fellowship Throughout Fair Grove High School

Students pray during a morning JOLT meeting

Georgia Whalley

Fair Grove High School offers many clubs and for some students, JOLT is a club to find like minded people within our school. JOLT is a nondenominational Christian club that meets on Thursdays before school in the courtyard or in the library computer lab depending on the weather.

Students meet to talk about bible passages that relate to a topic the students want to talk about. Sometimes members share their favorite verses from the Bible, or verse that relate to events happening in their life. Sarah Bethurem (12), a member of JOLT, remarked, “When JOLT has a meeting, everyone gathers around in somewhat of a circle shape. Mr. Foster chucks candy at us while we wait for whoever is going to share. After that, someone stands up and basically says whatever is on their mind, and ties a Bible verse into it.” For some students, JOLT is a place for them to openly express their faith at school. The sponsor for JOLT, Mr. Jon Foster, said, “The meetings are a time of encouragement from a particular passage from the Bible, as well as a time of corporate prayer.”

Another thing that JOLT organizes is GPD. GPD stands for Gym Pray Donuts, this is where students meet in the gym to eat donuts, and then they all pray. Bethurem explained, “JOLT also has GPD, so the weeks that we have one of those, we don’t go to JOLT.” Anyone is welcome to attend GPD, which also happens before school. Some weeks they have normal JOLT meetings, but GPD is announced to the group the week before as well as over the intercom the morning they plan on having it.

The regular JOLT meetings are largely student led. “I like having the opportunity to express my faith at school because I know some schools don’t allow you practice that right.” stated Matthew Guynn (12).  Some weeks even a faculty member will come and share their thoughts with the group as well.

The group is a place for people of faith to express their feelings towards God and the Bible with their peers at school. Bethurem stated, “My favorite part of JOLT is starting the day on a good note. JOLT is a warming club, and the morning that I go, my day seems to be significantly better.”