Middle and High School Host Winter Concert

The middle school choir sings at the 2018 Winter Concert.

Dory Baker

At this year’s annual middle and high school Winter Concert three age groups sang. Directed by Audra Harmon and accompanied by Cindy Sparks the 5th and 6th graders performed, followed by the 7th and 8th grade, and then the high school choir. At the end of the concert all of the choirs sang Night Of Silence together to close.

Normally the 5th and 6th grade choir doesn’t perform in the winter concert, so it was longer concert than previous years. The middle school groups only got to practice before and after school. Many of the students worked hard to prepare for the concert, 8th grade bass Cooper Zumwalt said, “The practices that we had and going over the music at home.” The 5th and 6th grade choir was only able to practice 6 times before the concert and the 7th and 8th grade choir was only able to practice 4 times. Mrs. Harmon’s favorite song to watch and listen to in the middle school portion was Cold Snap.

The high school choir was the last to perform. This year the choir performed Little Drummer Boy, during which Mrs. Harmon joined Mrs. Sparks at the piano, and the choir sang with no one directing them. “My favorite song for the winter concert was Little Drummer Boy. It’s honestly just so fun to sing!” explained junior, first soprano, Taylor Essary. Mrs. Harmon liked that it pushed both her and the choir out of their comfort zones. The High School choir practiced their music everyday in class.

This winter concert was senior Larissa Oliver’s last concert with this choir after four years. Mrs. Harmon described her as “someone who is not afraid to try something new, and she is one of the kindest students in the choir.” You can see the rest of the seniors later in the spring at the night of jazz or their spring concert.