Practicum Students Prepare for the Future

Emma Hill leads a lesson during an English I class.

Macey Stallings

Fair Grove is one of many schools to offer local colleges practicum opportunities to prepare their students for a future career in education. Several students from Evangel University, in Springfield, have been placed at Fair Grove High School to observe a teacher in the educational field of their choice, to complete their practicum hours, and experience the classroom setting first hand.

Emma Hill, a junior at Evangel University, is a practicum student here at Fair Grove. Emma observes two of Joseph Florez’s freshman English I classes during first and second hour, on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Her experience so far has been very good, with lots of interaction and interesting things. “This prepares me for my future career because it is exactly what I will be doing when I get my own classroom,” said Emma. She previously observed a sophomore English class as a practicum student at Kickapoo high school; being at Fair Grove now, she really gets to see how different each teacher is, and how differently they operate.

Another practicum student is sophomore Joshua Pipkin. On Wednesdays from 10:30- 12:00, and Fridays from 10:30-1:00, Joshua observes in History teacher Brendan Carroll’s classroom and wants to pursue a career as a history teacher, working with high school students grades 11 and 12. “My experience has been good so far, it reminds me a lot of Ash Grove; how it’s a small school that you’re really familiar with,” said Joshua. By observing how lesson plans are made, and even teaching some lessons on his own, Joshua is preparing for his future career as a teacher.

Skyler McAlister, a senior at Evangel University was also placed at Fair Grove High School. She plans on teaching general music in an elementary classroom or a High School choir class. Skyler attends Mrs. Harmon’s classroom to observe on Mondays and Wednesdays; from 10:30-12:30, for a total of 4 hours a week. “I have really enjoyed observing and interacting with the classes. I also have enjoyed observing Mrs. Harmon as a music teacher. She does a really great job with her students,” Skyler stated. She also noted that being a practicum student allows them to observe and get some insider information on how they can run their future classroom.