Fair Grove Dances to be Cancelled

Without dances, students will be able to spend more time at Sonic and the pool.

Sydney Dame

(Editor’s Note: This article was posted on April 1st as an April Fools joke. Since it is still being shared post-April 1st, we want to make sure that everyone knows this was a joke.)

Most people recall from their past going to exciting and fun high school and middle school dances, but Fair Grove students will not get to experience that anymore. Due to low grades and a decrease in test scores the school board decided to cancel any school dance for all grades. High School Principal, Mr. Chris Stallings, said, “Our main focus in Fair Grove Schools is making sure all of our students have excellent grades, due to a decrease in our test scores the school board decided to cancel all school dances in the upcoming years until we see the test scores increase.”

In previous years, Fair Grove has had average or above average test scores in the state of Missouri but as of 2018-2019 the test scores have drastically decreased. Scores on the tests used to average around a B- but now the scores are averaging around a D+ for both high school and middle school. The average GPA for the students has been around a 3.2 but as of 2018 the average dropped down to 2.6. “Students seem to have no motivation to work hard in their classes. We were hoping StuCo could help get them motivated to work harder but the scores are still decreasing, hopefully this will get them motivated to score better,” stated, High School Superintendent Mike Bell.

Starting the 2019-2020 school year all school dances including Homecoming, Courtwarming, Haunted Harvest Dance, and Prom will all be cancelled. The dances will not come back until the state test scores increase and stay consistent. It is predicted that the dances will come back after an estimated three years but if the scores stay down they will not be integrated back into the school. Mr. Stallings added, “We didn’t want to do this to the students but we couldn’t come up with any other way to motivate them. We hope that the students understand why we had to cancel the dances and that they are the ones who decide whether we bring back the dances or not.”