Middle School Spring Sports Show up to Play in 2019

A Middle School track member participates in high jump.

Lyndsey Wall

Fair Grove middle school sports have been taking big leaps this spring, with a brand new middle school baseball and softball program, the kids are preparing for high school sports early on. Middle school track is also an option for the 7th and 8th graders during the spring seasons.

The middle school softball team is brand new this year and has already stormed their way into the 2019 spring season. Hannah Maxwell (7) stated, “I love playing the sport, and it’s nice to be able to play under a school team instead of club.”

With the girls already playing against Lockwood, Ash Grove, and Bolivar they are gaining a lot of experience and preparing for the rest of the season. “I am super excited to play Strafford, Catholic, and Pleasant Hope, those schools are good competition,” Maxwell added.

Hannah also said, “We only play a total of about 10 games this season, for our first year as a middle school team, I’d say we are playing really well for just starting out.” 

Middle school boys baseball is another new program this year at Fair Grove, so the boys are preparing for their high school seasons to come. Hayden Carver (8) said, “I love playing for Fair Grove, it’s fun to play with my friends and have good team bonding.”

The boys team consists of 7th and 8th graders who want to play for the school during the spring season, some boys play on a travel team and also the school team. “I am super excited for the Strafford game, we’ve been practicing hard for this game, and since it’s our first time playing them as an actual Fair Grove school team, we’re really excited to show them what we’ve got.” Carver added.

Fair Grove middle school track isn’t new this year, but they are making their way into the season working harder than ever. Esais Baird (8) said, “The only person I worry about beating is myself, working hard to run in high school is going to add more competition.”

The middle school track team hasn’t had any track meets yet, but they have been practicing their events for their first meet at Skyline. The track team prepares for high school by watching the high schooler’s practice and sometimes even running against them. “I’m extremely excited for the Marshfield meet, it’s the only meet where class four and five schools compete which makes it more challenging.” Esais added.

Fair Grove middle school is ready for their spring seasons and are working their way into being prepared for high school seasons. The softball team plays next on April 12th versus Springfield Catholic, the baseball team plays on April 12th versus Monett, and the track team will have their next meet on April 9th at Marshfield.