Kicking Off the Year with Good Choices

Battle Bows at the SADD Kickoff, Senior and SADD officer, Jacob Morelan preparing to join in the fun.

Mitchell Van Cleave

Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) is the most popular club at Fair Grove, and is swinging back into action for the new school year. The club held their annual Kickoff on September 13th in the High School commons. The Kickoff consisted of pizza, cotton candy and a game called battle bows, where two teams are given bows and rubber arrows to shoot each other with.

The SADD sponsor, Jon Foster, explained, “[The best part of the Kickoff] this year, is battlebows. Also, more importantly, giving students something to do after the game that doesn’t involve drugs or alcohol.” Many students attended the Kickoff, one of them being Preston Kothenbeutel (10). He described, “My favorite thing is the atmosphere, everyone is super friendly and chill, and there’s lots of food to go around too.”

The Kickoff’s main goal is to draw students to join SADD. The President of the club, Leah Weaver (12), commented, “I joined SADD because I have never gotten to meet my uncle and aunt, as they were hit by a drunk driver. I’ve had family members that have made bad decisions, and it negatively affects them and my whole family. I joined so I could give other kids a chance to escape from those bad decisions, and still have fun in other ways.”

Weaver is accompanied by multiple other SADD officers that lead the club and direct meeting. Foster stated, “The applications were screened by last year’s seniors and myself, as to being a good role model for SADD.”

The SADD objective is to help kids make decisions that will not harm their futures. Weaver concluded, “Go ahead and join, because our meetings are always fun and educational. There is always a big group, so you can always find friends to hang out with. We always have some fun activity or spirit weeks going on.”

Click here for more photos