Fair Grove Bringing in the New

Mr. Johnston teaching his Agriculture classes

Bailey Richardson

Fair Grove High School has welcomed three new teachers, along with two coaches this year. Cole Johnston in agriculture education, Jalen Supancic in business education, and Suzanne Feldman in math. As for the sports side of things, Samantha Padgett is coaching the cheer squad, while Matthew Novak coaches the boy’s soccer team. 

“I [Johnston] was drawn to Fair Grove because of the different outlook and approach that the school district offers…I felt like the atmosphere of education in Fair Grove offers students a greater learning experience,” Johnston stated. As well as teaching six agriculture courses, Johnston is an FFA (Future Farmers of America) Advisor. He explained, “FFA helped mold and shape me into the individual I am today…I hope to be able to help students have the same experience or at least be more knowledgeable on the subject…I hope to bring a new level of motivation and determination to the Fair Grove FFA Chapter.” 

Feldman is teaching Fundamentals of Algebra, Algebra 1, Applied Geometry, and Calculus. As a Drury University Graduate, teaching was not always her calling, “My mom was a teacher, so I just knew that if there was one thing I would not be, it was a teacher.” She later realized, “…[I] was meant to be a teacher.” Feldman was drawn to teaching at Fair Grove because of  “…the positive and caring environment…” She is also the co-sponsor for FTA (Future Teachers of America). Feldman is proud of the school pride you can find at Fair Grove.

Supancic is teaching 8th grade Computer Applications, 7th grade Keyboarding, Intro to Technology, Business Technology I and II, Digital Communications, Personal Finance and Computer Applications. Along with those, he is the co-sponsor for FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America), DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America), and is assistant coaching for boy’s basketball. Supancic explained that Fair Grove Schools stood out to for a multitude of reasons, “When looking for places to teach, I only heard good things about Fair Grove…when I met the other teachers here, I understood why,” he continued, “The students are a big part of what helps make Fair Grove such an awesome school.”

Novak is in full swing for his soccer season, with the intent of winning a state championship. He has simple expectations for his team, “Show up to practice on time with a good attitude, ready to work hard.” This is Novak’s first head coaching job, but he previously helped coach a semi-professional team out of Springfield, MO. He is looking forward to the season, and his boy’s not only making themselves better, but making their teammates better.

Padgett has coached here for four years, but this is her first year as head cheer coach. She is a Fair Grove graduate, so she isn’t new to the school. Padgett said the cheer team has been putting in their work with weekly morning practices, explaining, “Each practice we work on our cheers, chants, and stunts…we have begun working on a routine that we hope to perform during [the] football season.” Although doing well at games is important to Padgett, she said, “I would like to see that they are working together, they are bonding, and that they are having fun…ultimately I hope they enjoy their school year.”

Undoubtedly, these teachers will bring fresh, new ideas to Fair Grove High School, and continue to work to make their classes better. While Coach Novak and Padgett proceed to make their team/squad better throughout their sports season.