A Look Into the Creativity of Fine Arts

Ashley Lassley

Fair Grove School doesn’t lack in its extra curricular activities, and in this 2019-2020 school year, we hone in on a subunit of clubs: Art Club, Poetry Club, and Book Club. 

The Art Club is run by Mrs. Stephanie Brown, the schools art teacher, and its cabinet, seniors, Taylor Essary, Kaylee Gerling, Kaylee Jackson, Mia Gerber, and Presley Emery. This year so far the art club has done tie dying, and plan to do several other activities this year, such as painting pumpkins and making jewelry. This year they will be focused on more “advanced crafts” and they are also working on painting a mural for the school in the hallway outside the library. The club meets once a month on Thursdays in 8th hour in the art room. Brown explained, “Art club is a space for them to have fun and be creative. They don’t have to have an art class to have that outlet.” They’re a “creative little family,” she states.

Poetry Club is our second club on the list. It is sponsored by Mr. Joseph Florez, and lead by it’s defacto, student Mitchell Van Cleave (11). The poetry club allows students to come read poetry out loud that they’ve written, listen to poetry that others have written, and give feedback that they have. The poetry club meets every other Wednesday of the month after school. Florez said, “I think that there are a ton of benefits to Poetry Club. Poetry Club is a great creative writing outlet. There aren’t a lot of creative writing options in normal high school English classes (there are some, just not tons), so Poetry Club is another opportunity to be creative. Another way that Poetry Club benefits students is the public speaking aspect. Most kids who attend the club are getting in front of the room to read or memorize and recite poems that they wrote. In normal classroom settings, most students are not excited to present to their peers, at Poetry Club, students are choosing to. A third benefit of Poetry Club is that students get to have a place to find like-minded people with similar interests, to share their poetry with.” Last year the Poetry Club made a Poetry Book, gathering work some of the students chose to submit. Florez stated it was a cool experience getting to see all the clubs poetry in a hard copy book. 

The last club on the list is Book Club. The Book Club is run by Mrs. Chanda Lemon and a group of officers that is said to be elected at the next meeting. The book club gives students a chance to participate in a book discussion and literary activities throughout the year. They plan to have a book swap in December. The club meets the 4th Tuesday of each month in 8th hour. 

These clubs give the students of Fair Grove many opportunities to help further them in the field of art, giving them activities to do, allowing them to explore the aspects of it, and letting them touch on their sense of creativity.