Students Soaring High: Academic Spotlight

Makenna Drefke

Academics in school is something that some students care a lot about,  and based on how hard the students are working so far this year, a handful of students were picked by randomly chosen teachers that work at Fair Grove High School. The students they have picked out is Griffin Merillat (12), Brooke Heavin (12), David Oplotinik (12), Madilyn Barker (12), and Devon Miller (10). 

Each of these kids were picked by the teachers because they fit a certain criteria. The things all of these students have in common is good grades, great work ethic, work well with others, and having good attendance at school. 

The four students that were picked is a group of three seniors and one sophomore. The first kid at our school that was picked was Griffin Merillat. He got acknowledged by multiple teachers for his work that he has done at school.  He is involved with soccer and is in student council. 

Another senior that has been recognized for the work they have done at school is Brooke Heavin. She is active in cheerleading and is in FFA (Future Farmers of America).

David Oplotinik is the third senior that got recognized for how he has done in school. He is involved in football, student council, and NHS (national honors society). 

The last senior to get chosen for her hard work is Madilyn Barker. She is highly active in Scholar Bowl.

The final student that the teachers picked is Devon Miller, who is a sophomore. He is active in FFA and is involved in theater, he is currently a director for one of the acts in the Hamlet play.

These students at Fair Grove that have been spotlighted, earned this by hard work and dedication. The main reason why they have been doing so well is explained by Devon Miller, “I make sure to get things done on time, and if I’m struggling with something I come in early or stay after to get a better understanding.”

These aren’t the only students in Fair Grove high school that fit this criteria though. Many other kids also got mentioned and considered when the teachers decided who seemed to put in the most effort at school There are talented and highly intelligent kids in every grade at our school, these kids that were chosen for this spotlight are the ones the teachers thought stuck out the most.