Ag Acquires a New Automation

Nate Brigman

The Fair Grove Agricultural program recently received a new plasma CNC (computer numerical control) machine for students to utilize in their respective agriculture classes. 

In essence, “ [The] Plasma Cutting Table utilizes drawings created in a CAD program, computer coding to talk to the table, a plasma cutter to cut the metal, and several computerized motors to make the cuts,” in the words of middle and high school Ag teacher, Matt Crutcher. Mr Crutcher also noted, “The CNC table and plasma cutter were purchased through a federal vocational enhancement grant. We were able to get an industrial quality machine that is used by several companies by utilizing this grant. The cost of the table, plasma cutter, software, training, and air lines were approximately $30,000.” 

A wide range of students throughout several elective classes use the CNC machine, learning skills that could potentially benefit them in the future should they decide to go into a related field. Mr. Crutcher stated, “The Plasma Table is utilized by 7th grade shop, Ag. Science 1, Ag. Mechanics, and Ag. Construction classes. In order to use the machine the students must first learn CAD (computer-aided design) software, computer coding, plasma cutting, and table operation. Upon learning how to operate, students can build a variety of projects such as signs, machine parts, pieces for larger projects, etc., depending upon the student’s skill level. By learning this, students are gaining skills in a high demand career.”

One such student is sophomore Bradi Weaver. In her words, “I use the machine to create different things that I could eventually sell or use. I have been able to create a bed frame for myself which would have been a lot more expensive had I bought that same bed frame from a bigger business. It has saved me money and enabled me to learn new things that without the machine I would have never known.” Speaking on the skill the machine requires, Bradi stated, “When I first used the machine it was difficult but with practice it has gotten a lot easier to use.”

The addition of the plasma CNC machine to the agriculture curriculum could be potentially life-changing for some students, and should certainly teach valuable lessons to those interested.