Fundraising For Athletics

Photo contributed by the Athletic Boosters

The set up for the cornhole tournament

Samantha Horvath

The Fair Grove Athletics Booster Club hosted a cornhole tournament on February 8th in the High School gym in order to fundraise for the middle and high school athletics programs. 

Cornhole is a lawn game in which players take turns throwing 16 ounce bags of corn kernels at a raised platform with a hole in the far end. Each bag that makes it in the hole scores three points, while each one on the board scores one point for the participant. 

The Athletics Booster Club president, Brandon Hill, said the idea of this fundraising event originated, “…at one of our meetings several months ago” and was introduced to the community through social media, electronic signs, and by word of mouth. The cornhole tournament was open to the community to attend and participate. Each full team to participate paid $50. 

Many members of the community attended including the high school Girls Basketball coach, Jenny Talbert, the high school and middle school Softball coaches, Tara Whetzell, Shelby Morrow, Jordan Coddington, and Samantha Orr, the high school Baseball coach and high school Vice Principal, Christian Overstreet, as well as many other community members. 

The winners of this event were Bryan White and Cody Roat. They were awarded a championship t-shirt and $250 to a sponsored team of their choice. They chose to donate to the softball program of Fair Grove schools. Tara Whetzell, a softball coach of Fair Grove schools, stated, “The $250 donation will go towards the upkeep of the softball field and the needs of my athletes throughout our season.  We are working towards new dugouts and new bullpens as well.” 

The Fair Grove Athletics Booster Club has been helping to support the student athletes of Fair Grove schools district for many years. They help in providing equipment, scholarships, and many other essential components of sports programs throughout the district. This cornhole fundraiser was just one in many events held in the Fair Grove community and the program that was donated to showed much appreciation. Whetzell commented, “The HS and MS softball teams would like to thank the Fair Grove Booster Club members for their time and energy behind raising money for our athletes here at Fair Grove.”