Wearing Masks in the New School Year

Erin Blevins

At Fair Grove High School, students are made to wear masks because of the COVID-19 pandemic. All students are doing well keeping the masks on during the day and following the rules, and teachers are also taking special precautions on keeping the students safe. 

A big concern was the impact it would have on the school day. Would the students be distracted or irritated? Would the students with breathing problems have the chance to go outside and regain some breath? Most concerns are taken care of, as Sarah Beals commented, “They bother me, but they aren’t terrible. If this is what I have to do to get back to normal, I’ll do it. Some of the teachers give us a chance to take them off.” In a sense, it takes away some of the humanity that our facial expressions give us. Many students and teachers say that they miss seeing peoples’ smiles. 

Students that have jobs say that it’s easier because they have to wear them at work, but the students that don’t find it more difficult. “Now I have to wash my masks every day so I can keep myself from catching the rona, and also it is hard to remember it in the mornings,” added Sarah.  

A big part of the school community is sports. With COVID-19, everyone has to practice social distancing and keeping masks on when they aren’t physically practicing. Tanner Lumley stated, “All these precautions affect me every day, especially in football, by social distancing when possible and wearing masks when we are close together.”

Most of these students feel like this is a good precaution, because it’s something they have to do to continue participating in what they are passionate about. Tanner said, “I’m trying to make the best of the situation by cherishing the moments I have at school and football. I know that it could be taken at any time.” 

Some students are trying to make the masks more comfortable and something easier to cope with. Ayden Teaster commented, “I am trying to get used to wearing masks more often, and have invested in effective masks made of softer material to make wearing them all day every day a little easier.”