Seniors Take On Tutoring

Senior, Lydia Page, helps out a 8th grader Kyle Stacey in shop.

Preston Padgett, Co-Editor of Website / Twitter manager

The high-school seniors doing A+ tutoring are going to be a big help to teachers throughout the elementary and middle school. A+ is a tutoring opportunity that is only available to high-school seniors during the school year, but is available to other students (juniors, sophomores, freshmen) during the summer. Students doing A+ will assist a teacher (in the middle school or elementary school) for one semester of the school year. Students doing A+ get the benefit of two free years of college at OTC.

“You get free college at OTC. A+ pays for college if you plan to go, and the relationships you build with the kids are a lot of fun.” Says this year’s A+ administrator, Coach Peck. “Doing A+ gets you out of the normal classroom setting, it gives you a chance to get out and be active. You get the opportunity to help younger students with their classwork.”  “A+ looks great on a resumé. Anything that gets you above and beyond normal class would look good, especially tutoring experience.” Coach Peck says she is excited for this years seniors to tutor. Not all seniors are assigned to elementary school teachers, some are assigned to middle school or shop classes.

Lydia Page (12), a tutor for Mr. Libby’s middle school shop class, admits that she enjoys A+. “I enjoy having a more relaxing hour, especially in a familiar environment. I have the opportunity to show the kids what high-school is like. I recommend A+ to anyone who plans on going to college, it opens up college opportunities and it is fun!”

Logan Beach, a Fair Grove 2014 graduate mentions that A+ is an awesome opportunity and to take it while you can. “It was really cool seeing all the kids’ faces light up when you walked into the classroom. They would all scream and jump out of their seats to hug you. Getting to develop relationships with those kids was one of the most memorable thing from high-school. Your tutoring ranges from helping the kids with their work to occasionally helping the teacher teach lessons,” adds Beach. “It isn’t always work though, if you get the chance, you are able to go on field trips such as the Frontier Theater and a live showing of Sid the Science Kid.”

As these A+ participants have said, A+ is an awesome opportunity to take up while in high school. Not only do you get to interact with younger students, but you get to have fun while doing it.