Middle School Clubs Making Connections

Haley Stallings

Pictured (left to right), Seth Parfitt and Brody Daniels.

Haley Stallings, Asst. Sports Editor

This year in the Fair Grove Middle School there will be a total of eight clubs. These clubs include: Math Club, Yu-Gi-Oh Club, Chess Club, Stream Team, N.J.H.S, Character Council, Student Ambassadors, and the Scholars Bowl Club.  Most of these clubs are open to everyone however, some of them are composed of students that are hand selected by teachers.

N.J.H.S. stands for national junior honor society and it is hand selected by a group of five teachers. This club encourages students to make a difference by volunteering their free time to get in service hours for their community. In past years N.J.H.S. has made the Fair Grove talent  show possible, which has always been very successful, and the backpack program, which helps tons of kids in our community to never leave hungry. A past member of N.J.H.S., Lacey March, shares, “It was very fulfilling and taught me the value in service and community.”

Another hand selected club is character council. Holly Lemon is one of the few selected for character council. Holly states that character council plans school events and meets every morning during advisory. Holly said, “ What I enjoy most of this club is getting together with friends to help out our school”. This will be Holly’s first year in character council.

The last hand selected club is the student ambassadors. This group is selected while students are in the fifth grade. Landon Baker is an active student ambassador. Landon shares that the student ambassadors meet once a month, help out with Thanksgiving dinner, and help new students feel welcome. Landon has been involved with the ambassadors for four years. Out of these four years Landon shares that his favorite memory was whenever Cydney played an old grandma in one of their bullying skits.

The other clubs are open to anyone that is willing to invest their time. The most recent of addition  is Yu-Gi-Oh club. This is a club that was formed by students, one in particular that helped bring this club to life is Ryan Peterson. Peterson explains that the most enjoyable thing about Yu-Gi-Oh club for him is just being able to hang out with friends and play Yu-Gi-Oh.

Stream team, Math Club, Chess Club, and Book Club have been established for many years now. These are clubs that are open for anyone to join. The middle school principal Chris Stallings explains, “ Clubs are important because it gives kids the opportunity to get involved in school. Students who make connections at school are much more likely to be successful in academics.”