Eagle's Eye

Fair Grove High School's Online Source for News

• We will be posting new articles weekly all school year!

Eagle's Eye

Eagle's Eye

Polls

What is your favorite summer activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Breaking Traditions with a Newly Extended Thanksgiving Break

Festive Fall pumpkins. (photo provided by FGS News)

As the 2022-2023 school year pushes forward, Fair Grove students are starting to get prepared for their newly extended Thanksgiving break. 

Students have spent over six weeks getting back into their everyday school routines. After many hours in the classroom, some students are ready for a nice long break from learning and taking tests. Now with the leaves beginning to change colors and the temperature starting to drop, the much anticipated Thanksgiving break is right around the corner. 

Many students are excited to partake in some of their favorite Thanksgiving traditions. Stephanie Dunham (12) is no exception to this. She explained that “A Thanksgiving tradition I have been doing since I was a kid is my entire family going to my grandma’s house by Stockton Lake and we all spend the day together.” 

Dunham loves spending time around her family during the holidays and all of the fun that comes with it. She stated, “My favorite part of Thanksgiving break is hanging out with all of my cousins at my grandma’s house. Thanksgiving has produced some of the most cherished memories of my childhood because of this.” 

Dunham isn’t the only one who is excited to spend time with her family during break. Nevaeh Lahey (11) shared that, “Some of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions are bringing our whole family together from different states and celebrating together.” 

Thanksgiving break is a great opportunity for students like Lahey to spend time with family, and get their minds off of struggles that come with school. “My favorite part of break is not having school, and just getting to eat whatever I want,” she explained. 

For this school year, a holiday that is so correlated with tradition is going to see a big change at Fair Grove. Instead of students attending two days of school on Monday and Tuesday before their break, this year they are given an entire week off of school to celebrate the holidays. In exchange for this extended break, students are required to come to school on two Mondays during regular school weeks. 

This extended break has split the support of Fair Grove students. Dunham is one of the students who is happy about the new change. “I personally feel that having two Monday school days is an amazing trade off in order to have a full week of break,” Dunham stated. 

Dunham continued, “Yes, these extra school days are a bit harder to get through living in the moment, but ultimately everyone forgets about it as soon as the week is over.” 

Collin Emery (11) disagrees with the new Thanksgiving break decisions. “I think the break was already long enough and having a few 5 day week’s really throws me off and makes my weeks way too long,” he expressed.

This year, Thanksgiving break will be nine days long including the weekend and will take place from November 18th to November 27th.