Eagle's Eye

Fair Grove High School's Online Source for News

• We will be posting new articles weekly all school year!

Eagle's Eye

Eagle's Eye

Polls

What is your favorite summer activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Mrs. Wahlquist Leaves the Nest

Photo taken by Cheyenne Miller
Mrs. Wahlquist posing for a photo in her classroom.

After spending 16 years working for the Fair Grove School District and community, Michelle Wahlquist has decided to retire.

Mrs. Wahlquist has been a teacher, coach, and role model for 33 years now, splitting 17 of those years between Kickapoo, Ozark, and Buffalo. She has dedicated so much of her time not only to the education of the students but to their extracurriculars as well. In her years she has coached and sponsored: Yearbook, Newspaper, NHS (National Honors Society), Scholar Bowl, and many different Volleyball positions.

Mrs. Wahlquist has taught at Fair Grove for 16 years, teaching several different classes under communication arts. Mrs. Wahlquist says, “ I’ve always enjoyed the smaller schools; there is much to be said for the camaraderie of a smaller school staff and the ability to get to know the students better. I’ve always appreciated this school district.” 

After years of teaching and forming relationships, Mrs. Wahlquist has made an impact on several students at Fair Grove, one of them being former student Braden Booth (Graduated 2023). Booth shared, “Mrs. Wahlquist was the teacher I was closest to. [She] was always exactly the [Scholar Bowl] coach we needed. Wahlquist gave me a lot of advice through high school, and she is one of the people that helped me navigate those four years.”

For years Mrs. Wahlquist has been the Scholar Bowl coach. She led the team to winning both Nationals and State. Booth says, “I’m happy for her that she gets to retire, although I do worry about the future of the team. It’s hard to find someone who will put in the time and effort Wahlquist did.”

Liam Draper (12) shares, “My favorite memory of Wahlquist was our trip to Chicago for national and getting to tour downtown Chicago. She has definitely positively affected me by helping me see so much of the state and country during quiz bowl. I’m very happy that she is able to retire on top while still coaching one of the top scholar bowl teams in the nation.

Mrs. Wahlquist has impacted several members of the Fair Grove community and school district. Booth shares, “Wahlquist has been a great advisor, an amazing coach, and a good friend. I’m very glad I’ve gotten to know her.”

After retirement Mrs. Wahlquist plans to travel and spend more time with her friends and family. She plans to continue reffing volleyball and never having to grade a paper ever again. She says, “I’m sure I will miss parts of it, but I am really excited for the future.”