Eagle's Eye

Fair Grove High School's Online Source for News

• We will be posting new articles weekly all school year!

Eagle's Eye

Eagle's Eye

Polls

What is your favorite summer activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Elementary Students Throwing Pom Poms

Photo taken by Keira Sadler
High School Cheerleaders, (left to right) Brooklyn Mauldin, Cheer Captain Hannah Bruner, and Co-Captain Reese Wells, teaching Elementary Students cheers at Junior Cheer Camp.

In addition to their competitive season, the Fair Grove High School Cheerleaders held their annual Junior Cheer Camp on February 13 and 14 for the elementary students in hopes to bring the cheerleading experience to a younger generation of Eagles.

Junior Cheer Camp is an event that is held twice a year; once during football season and once during basketball season. During the camp, high school cheerleaders teach elementary students the cheers that they then perform at the football and basketball games. The students in the February camp performed their cheers during a halftime performance at the Lady Eagles varsity game against the Strafford Indians on February 15. 

The camp can be a beneficial experience for the elementary students in several ways. “It’s a chance for them to have role models and also learn skills such as listening, paying attention, and quick processing while learning,” said cheerleader Brooklyn Mauldin (11).

The students also gain confidence and have a fun experience. “It gives them an opportunity to be on the big stage during a halftime performance for their parents to see their hard work,” stated cheer coach Samantha Padgett.

The cheerleaders can also benefit from the experience of junior cheer camps. It is an opportunity for them to take on leadership roles and learn leadership skills. “Patience, confidence, and kindness are just a few skills we practice in Junior Cheer camp every day,” added Mauldin.

Cheer Co-Captain, Reese Wells (11), explained, “The camp brings more interest to the Cheer program and allows young students to develop a love for cheerleading.” This can help increase funding for the program as well as increase the number of students interested in participating in High School Cheer.

The junior cheer camps also bring together the community. They help get the students involved and attract a large audience to the games.

Although the February junior cheer camp is the last of the 2023-2024 school year. The upcoming camp will be held next school year during football season.