Eagle's Eye

Fair Grove High School's Online Source for News

• We will be posting new articles weekly all school year!

Eagle's Eye

Eagle's Eye

Polls

What is your favorite summer activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

4th Graders Level Up to Middle School

Photo taken by Kelly Elgin
Two 4th grade students riding on a amusement ride at Wonderworks (Front: Elsie Woods, Back: Emma Mauldin)

At Fair Grove Elementary, the 4th graders are taking a big step into becoming middle schoolers next year, and with school coming to an end on May 28, everyone is going to be given a new beginning.

With the upcoming elementary students transitioning into middle school, the teachers must prepare these students for this event. Around the last couple weeks of school, the teachers give the students an opportunity to meet their teachers for the next year, and become more familiar with the building, and the classrooms. 5th grade teachers, Michael Zanzie, Joanna Winterberg, Lacey White, and Amy Bell are responsible for helping the kids adapt and learn to become new middle schoolers. 

Before the new school year comes rolling around, the 5th grade teachers put in a lot of hard work and effort into preparing for the next year. “Throughout the year, I am continuously preparing for the next group of students. As I teach lessons and do activities, I keep track of any changes or improvements I want to make for the next year,” said Ms. Winterberg, a 5th grade teacher. 

Fair Grove’s 5th grade teachers try their best to understand and communicate with students early on in the year as they grow, building close relationships and bonds to encourage students to learn and grow. “They are in a transitioning stage from child to pre-teen, and have behaviors that reflect both. I do my best to make connections with my students,” explained Mrs. White, “We are all human, so some days are difficult. However, the good days outweigh the difficult ones by far.” 

When students don’t want to sit in a classroom and study, teachers usually try to make the experience less dull. “I like that you can have a kid that might have not enjoyed school very much in elementary school, and with a change of scenery and new teachers and transitions they enjoy coming everyday,” said Mr. Zanzie. 

“They say or do things daily that make me smile or laugh and I hope I do the same for them. I also enjoy seeing the growth that fifth graders make academically and behaviorally throughout their first year of middle school,” stated Mrs. White.

As the school year slowly approaches, students may find it difficult to register the anxious feeling of going into middle school, but in reality there isn’t much to worry about. “The transition from elementary school to middle school may seem like a big transition, but they will have a lot of help adjusting.  If they come to school with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn, they will find success,” explained Ms. Winterberg. 

“Don’t stress the change,” said Mr. Zanzie, “Lots of students come in very nervous and realize after a few weeks that it isn’t as hard or as scary as they have been thinking it would be.” 

The future middle schoolers will take flight in the next building next school year, a new beginning for everyone.