Flamenco in Fair Grove

Haley Stallings

Flamenco Guitarist Ronald Radford performs for the 5th grade and Spanish Classes.

Haley Stallings, Asst. Sports

On Wednesday, September 24th, the 5th grade and spanish students were visited by motivational speaker and Flamenco guitarist Ronald Radford. Radford was hired to allow the fifth grade students an opportunity to dive into the Spanish culture. The student will be able to get just a tiny taste of what they will experience in their fifth grade music program.  Principal Chris Stallings says, “Ms. Dierksen would like to have the 5th graders attend since they will be exploring different cultures as part of the 5th grade music curriculum.”

Radford used his music to tell the story of his past and the obstacles he had to overcome to achieve  his dream. He encourages students to follow their dreams no matter what the cost. Radford told students a saying he that helped get him while pursuing his dream was a method he called OLE. OLE stands for optimism leadership energy. Spanish student, Brayden Lumley said, “He makes me want to practice more at what I want to be good at.”

Photo by Haley Stallings

The spanish culture was also strongly displayed in the playing of Flamenco on Radford’s guitar. Flamenco is a style of song and dance that is native to Spain. Spanish student, Angelina Vasquez explains, “ I thought it was really awesome to hear about his experience living in a different type of culture. Anyone who can overcome obstacles to achieve their dream is someone to admire.” With another take on the Spanish culture, fifth grader, Joshua Orr shares, “He played really good and he knew a lot about the Spanish guitar.”