Eagle's Eye

Fair Grove High School's Online Source for News

• We will be posting new articles weekly all school year!

Eagle's Eye

Eagle's Eye

Polls

What is your favorite summer activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

McKeever Looking Towards Success

Photo taken by Rebecca Kepes
Jessica McKeever succeeding in her new role as Fair Grove Elementary Reading Specialist.

Jessica McKeever, who has been a classroom teacher at Fair Grove Elementary for 17 years, recently stepped into the role as a reading specialist for first through fourth grade students. 

In addition to her teaching degree, McKeever has specific education and training in literacy. She earned a minor in literacy as an undergraduate student, then she obtained a master’s degree in Reading Development and Literacy, and went on to get a special certificate to be a K-12 Reading Specialist.

Over her years of teaching, McKeever has had a lot of experience working with kids and using a variety of methods to help her students learn and become successful. 

“My most effective teaching techniques have included fostering a love of reading within my students, building foundational skills with phonemic awareness and phonics, encouraging students to build confidence in their vocabulary and reading comprehension, and promoting student motivation and self-efficacy within their reading and writing abilities,” McKeever stated. 

Dr. Charity Hollan, Fair Grove Elementary Principal, explained how McKeever was able to smoothly transition to her first year as the elementary reading specialist, “It has been great to see Mrs. McKeever in her new role this year and celebrate the success stories of the students she is working with.”

One of her most effective strategies for helping her students to reach their goals in education is to create uplifting and positive connections with her students. 

McKeever shared, “I work hard to show them that success is achievable by showing them growth moments within themselves, and once they experience that feeling of pride, they want to continue to meet new goals set before them. Praise and sincere encouragement goes a long way!”

Fair Grove Elementary Counselor, Angela Hollingsworth, stated McKeever is always there for her students and creates strong bonds between the students.

“I love hearing her talk to her students in the hallways. She is positive and she truly cares for each one of her students. She also is amazing at building peer relationships with students when they are in a small group together,” Hollingsworth said.  

In her years of teaching, McKeever has cherished many memorable moments with her students in the classroom. She loves to watch her students get excited when they see their hard work pay off. 

Mckeever shared, “I think my favorite memories have been those small “lightbulb” moments that I have witnessed so many times when my students learn something new or gain the confidence in their growth and abilities during the school year.”

McKeever’s students and colleagues appreciate her dedication and passion for teaching. Hollingsworth concluded, “We are so thankful for Mrs. McKeever and her wealth of knowledge along with decades of experience with teaching and empowering young children to be the best version of themselves possible!”