Eagle's Eye

Fair Grove High School's Online Source for News

• We will be posting new articles weekly all school year!

Eagle's Eye

Eagle's Eye

Polls

What is your favorite summer activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Cindy Sparks Leaving the Eagles Nest

Cindy+Sparks+playing+piano+at+the+Singing+Eagles+spring+concert.+
Photo taken by Mackenzie Cavin
Cindy Sparks playing piano at the Singing Eagles spring concert.

Cindy Sparks, Fair Grove Elementary Music Teacher, has decided to officially retire after 44 years of working full time and an additional 13 years part time. 

Sparks stated that, “I came to Fair Grove right out of college. I knew nothing about the town when I came, but I fell in love with everything about it very quickly.”

Sparks formerly taught 3rd and 4th grade music, currently is the director of the Singing Eagles, and accompanies the high school choir. 

Sparks started Singing Eagles as a way for students in 3rd and 4th grade to have the opportunity to perform.  This also helps students gain an understanding of what a high school choir would be like if they choose to be involved during their own high school years.

Sparks said that students have been able to perform at really cool things in Singing Eagles and listed a few of the events they have performed at, “Veterans Day programs, Thanksgiving Dinner programs, Tree lighting at the Mill, Basketball games, Springfield Cardinals games, St. Louis Cardinals games, and music festivals.” 

Stephanie Dunham (12) a member of the high school choir mentioned, “My favorite memory from Mrs. Sparks would have to be when we were supposed to perform “Take Me Out to the Ball Game ” at a St. Louis Cardinals game in I believe third grade. The game kept getting delayed because of rain and eventually, we all sang together in the stands with the crowd.” Dunham continued, “I’ll never forget this memory as it was so special to have the opportunity to experience something memorable as a part of that program that Mrs. Sparks led.”

For at least the last 13 years Sparks has been the accompanist for the high school choir and Audra Harmon, Fair Grove Middle School and High School Music Teacher, explained that she plays piano not only for the entire choir, but also for students who take solos and small ensembles for district and state competitions. 

“I have worked with her every day of my 11 years here. I don’t know that I have one favorite memory of working with her, because there are too many to count,” Harmon mentioned.

Throughout Sparks time as an accompanist for high school choir Harmon listed a few travels they have taken for events, “I have had the pleasure of traveling with Mrs. Sparks to Washington, D.C., Memphis, and Orlando.”

Harmon stated, “She is so much more than our accompanist. She has been a friend and mentor. I am so happy for her to get this well-deserved time, but I know she will be difficult to replace.”

Sparks mentioned how proud she was of all her students and said, “I will miss coming to school everyday and working with the students and staff, but I will always be watching and cheering them on. I have truly been blessed!!”