Digital Safety Discussed in the Middle and High School

Morgan McCart, Page Editor: Elementary

Monday November 17, 2014 Fair Grove held a Digital Safety assembly provided by Missouri Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force. Speaking at the assembly was Jennifer Schiffman. There were separate assemblies for the girls and boys in both the middle school and high school.

Jennifer Schiffman has been speaking to kids for four years, but she has been in the task force for six years. Schiffman began speaking to students after she was compiling stats and doing government reports and saw that too many kids were still getting hurt. Schiffman states, “I wanted to make sure someone was talking to these kids. I looked at the message adults were trying to give kids about social media, and it was not very good. I want to put it in terms that are understandable and important to kids. Just telling them their pictures will be around forever or not to talk to strangers is not realistic.”  She does not feel awkward talking to the kids about this subject because she portrays it in a way the kids can understand and she mentions, “Honestly i’m a big goofball, I don’t feel like it is awkward, it is just the way it is, I want to protect them.”

What Schiffman likes most about her job and what she likes least are the same thing, which is when someone comes to her and she can help them, however she feels like the situation could’ve been prevented. Schiffman reminds the students that it can happen to anyone, and she wants students to feel like they can talk about it.  Anyone can be manipulated into sending pictures or doing something they do not want to do.

If you are having problems please see a counselor or trusted adult, or call 1-800-THE- LOST. This number helps law enforcement work together to make sure they have all the victims.