Eagle's Eye

Fair Grove High School's Online Source for News

• We will be posting new articles weekly all school year!

Eagle's Eye

Eagle's Eye

Polls

What is your favorite summer activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Fair Grove Track Team is Off to the Races

Sage+Crowley+%289%29+takes+off+from+the+block+at+the+Ozark+track+meet.+
Desiree Labaw
Sage Crowley (9) takes off from the block at the Ozark track meet.

The Fair Grove Track team has been preparing for the 2024 season. Months of individual work has all built up to the start of the competitive events. 

The track season has officially started with the first meet of the season being the Marshfield Invitational that took place on March 22nd. Since then the team has also competed at Republic, Buffalo, Reed Springs, and Parkview is hosting girls night out and boys night out. 

Even though the season has just begun, the team has been preparing since December. These months of practices have included workouts, warm ups, form training, and yoga. Not only this but the team has also been mentally preparing to face the competition that is to come.

Liam Draper (12) is one of the athletes that has been attending all of the practices to keep in top shape throughout the season. Draper is currently a varsity runner in the 400m dash, the 800m dash, and the 4×4 and has big goals for his performances this season. Draper stated, “This year our plan is to win state in both the 4×4 and 4×2, along with that I would like to get top 8 at state in the 800 and 400m.” 

Last season Draper was very successful in his relay events. His relay team placed 6th in the 4×4 and 8th in the 4×2 while also winning at districts and sectionals in both.  

This season has already seen a lot of success for both new and returning track members. One of the best young track members is Katrina Cantwell (9). She is only a freshman but has placed highly in many of her events. Cantwell placed first in her debut at the Marshfield Invitational in the 3200m run. Since then she has placed within the top five at multiple following meets. 

Another young star on the Fair Grove Track team is Sage Crowley (9). She is another freshman who is succeeding in her events this year. She has already achieved multiple first places while running the 100m dash and 200m dash.

Luke Buescher (12) is another member of the track team who is running the 800m race and the 1600m race. Although Buescher didn’t compete in track last year, he is coming off of a very successful cross country season and specializes as a distance runner. 

Buescher’s debut season is shaping up to be successful, but the thing he is looking forward to the most is the fun of track. Buescher explained, “My goal for this season is to enjoy track without having to stress out too much.”

Draper also enjoys being with the team and sharing experiences with his fellow track members. Draper said, “I love being on the track team and the time we get to spend together at some of the later meets like sectionals and state when we are all competing for one goal.” 

While Draper enjoys the fun that the season provides, the team is going to fight through some tough competitions. Draper explained, “We’re going to some big meets this year and they will have some of the really good class 5 schools that will be good competition for all of us.” 

At the Marshfield Invitational, Canyon Crowley (12) finished first place in both the 100m and 200m dash. Gavin Brock (10) finished first in the 110m hurdles and Katrina Cantwell  placed first in the 3200m run. The Fair Grove relay team also finished first in the 4x200m run. 

At the Buffalo Throwers Meet, Kade Brunkhorst (11) placed second place in the javelin event, and Steven Lederich (11) got third place in the shot put. Brooke Daniels (11) finished third in the javelin, and Hadison Wingo (12) placed fourth in the discus. 

At the Branson Invitational, Canyon Crowley placed first in the 100m, 200m, and 400m dash. Sage Crowley got second place in the 100m dash. Gavin Brock got third place in the 110m hurdles and Kade Brunkorst placed third in the javelin event. 

As the Track and Field team progresses closer to the end of their season, the athletes continue to set records and grow as competitors at Fair Grove High School.