Fair Grove High School Gets Extracurricular

Students meet with Mr. Foster in the courtyard for JOLT

Jane Elliston

“I hope that all students who join a club would gain a greater high school experience,”  says Fair Grove High School Principal, Chris Stallings, with the closing of this year’s first Club Day on Wednesday, September 5.

Club Day is the first Wednesday of every month for students attending Fair Grove High School to get involved with their school. Students are encouraged to attend meetings, events, and join different clubs or extracurricular activities throughout the day.

It is recommended, when students are first deciding on what extracurriculars they want to join, that they find a club that incorporates their passions and interests, rather than “just looking at what club your friend is joining,” as said by Principal Stallings, and it seems students are actually putting this into action. “I initially joined SADD because I wanted to be a part of something that stood against drugs, alcohol, and other things,” said SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) President Sarah Bethurem (12).

Club Day is not just a day for students to get involved. It is also a day for them to enhance their education. As Stallings stated, “Students who are involved and connected to their school perform much higher academically than their peers who are not involved.” Students are capable of joining extracurriculars that can benefit their careers and give them a taste of what their future might entail. “I joined FBLA because I wanted to hone my interests and learn to develop my skills to prepare me for my future,” says FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) Co-President, Ashlee Gallinger (12).

Students involved in clubs have great goals and aspire for many accomplishments during the year, as well. “This school year, my goal is to get first place in marketing again and advance to state. I also want to place at state with a community service project,” says FBLA Co-President Logan Holliman (12). Sarah Bethurem also hopes that through her works as SADD officer, she can impact “AT LEAST one person’s life.”

With students ambitious for the new school year, it is hoped that many of them get involved as much as they can, because as Principal Stallings said, “A student at Fair Grove High School cannot go wrong with any club they join.”