National FFA Convention

Photo Contributed by: Fair Grove FFA

Students in FFA attending national convention

Lydia Engel

The 92nd National FFA Convention and Expo was Oct. 29th-Nov. 2nd, where Future Farmers of America (FFA) students travel to Indianapolis, IN to explore different agricultural career fields. There the FFA members get to listen to motivational speakers, take part in meetings and tour the college and career exposistions. Annually over 70,000 members from across the country gather at this convention to learn more about the agricultural world.

Students wishing to go into in agriculture related industry could greatly benefit from the experience of going to the National Convention. “There were 400+ colleges and industry companies exhibiting. Students get to explore different career field and visit with colleges from across the country,” Mr. Matt Crutcher, the Fair Grove Ag Science teacher explained. This can help open a student up to a world of different opportunities for their future that they would have never known without going to the National Convention. 

Every year students miss a week of school to go to National Convention to learn about and how to improve agriculture. “I think one of my favorite parts was just meeting new people and getting closer with some of the kids in our FFA,” states Anna Johnston (12), an active member of Fair Grove’s FFA. Traveling with Fair Grove to the National Convention were two other schools: Buffalo and Skyline. This provides members the unique experience of interacting with others who share the same interest as them. 

Along with the speakers, expos, and many other events that busies the FFA members’ time, they also got to visit a bee farm, a fish hatchery, and an elk farm where students can learn the business side of agriculture. However, to be able to go and enjoy the whole experience the students first had to work for it.Students earn their way through attending activities, participation in fundraisers, exhibiting at the district and state fairs, and working the fall festival,” Mr. Crutcher affirmed. Several of Fair Grove’s FFA students do just that every year to experience the National Convention for all it’s agricultural wonders. 

The meeting, speakers, expos, and different learning experiences at National Convention keeps students coming again and again. “It’s honestly a huge learning experience,” Anna shared, “ We not only get to say we’ve been, but we get to learn about different aspects of agriculture and meet other (members) from everywhere around the country.”