Eagle's Eye

Fair Grove High School's Online Source for News

• We will be posting new articles weekly all school year!

Eagle's Eye

Eagle's Eye

Polls

What is your favorite summer activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

‘Spark’ing Students Interest in Music

Desiree Labaw
Cindy Sparks and the Singing Eagles at the Veterans Day assembly on 11/10/23.

Cindy Sparks is a music teacher at Fair Grove elementary who also serves as an accompanist for the high school choir.

Sparks expressed her love for Fair Grove, which started right at the beginning, “When I came to look at the school, I fell in love with the school, kids, staff and community. There were only two music teachers in the district when I came here. It has been exciting watching the community grow! We now have four music teachers!”

Sparks continues to do many things for the school, beginning at the Elementary. She said, “I currently teach 3rd and 4th grade music, and the Singing Eagles…I really enjoy the Singing Eagles because of the experiences that the kids get to perform for.”

Heather Lumley is a music teacher for the pre-k, K, 1st and 2nd grade. She has worked with Sparks for years. She dove deeper into all that Sparks does, “I have worked with Sparks for the last 12 years. She retired from teaching, but decided to stay part time…She is a delight to work with.”

Not only does Sparks work in the Elementary, but she also accompanies the High School Choir, which is directed by Audra Harmon. She talked about her appreciation for Sparks, “I have had the privilege to work with Sparks for the last 11 years…She is so much more than our accompanist. She is a friend and mentor to both myself and the students in the choir.” 

Harmon continued, “I can always count on her to share her opinion and help guide me in the right direction. It also helps that she is an amazing pianist. I am so thankful for the professional and personal relationship we have developed throughout the years.”

Many memories have been made throughout the years with Sparks, but Harmon and Lumley had a few personal favorites. Harmon said, “We have spent a lot of time together. We have traveled to Washington D.C. and Florida together with the band and choir students. We have spent countless hours in the classroom preparing students for contests and concerts. We have shared good times and hard times. Each moment we spend together is precious because she is a dear friend who I know I can always count on.”

Lumley reminisced, “Years and years ago- probably 1992- I did my student teaching with Sparks in elementary music. She is truly a professional. She is a master teacher. She expects the children in her class to show respect, do their best, and learn to appreciate music. Her performances are always top-notch. She does a wonderful job with Singing Eagles by giving them neat opportunities like singing at FG games, festivals, and even Cardinal’s ballgames.”

Not only does Sparks take the Singing Eagles to sing at Cardinal’s baseball games, but she enjoys them in her free time as well. She mentioned, “Outside of school, I like to do crafts, read, and I am a huge fan of the St. Louis Cardinals.”

Cindy Sparks has impacted people in many positive ways, and she continues in her 43rd year at Fair Grove as the school year progresses.