Eagle's Eye

Fair Grove High School's Online Source for News

• We will be posting new articles weekly all school year!

Eagle's Eye

Eagle's Eye

Polls

What is your favorite summer activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

FCCLA Advances Towards Nationals

photo by Darci Friberg
Riley Frazier (11) after receiving a certificate stating that she qualified for nationals.

Riley Frazier (11) has qualified to compete at the national level for the Family Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) competition called Students Taking Action with Recognition (STAR) Events. 

Frazier competed in two competitions to qualify for nationals, in the category of early childhood education. She won at districts and went on to get second at the state level. The national conference will be held in Seattle Washington, from June 29nd to July 3rd. 

Frazier said, “ I was required to make a portfolio that had evidence of occupational coursework, three lesson plans, evidence of the lesson plans being conducted, and evidence of developmental knowledge.” 

She continued, “I also had to put together a resource container that I would use to make my case study activity… I have 20 minutes to create an activity plan with a case study that is given to me, I will then present my activity to the judges.” 

Darci Friberg is the FCCLA advisor, she helped coach and guide Frazier. Friberg mentioned, “Riley wanted this for herself. It was a goal she set, and I was so happy for her to see her hard work pay off.”

This will not be the first time that Friberg will be taking a student to nationals. Friberg said, “I haven’t taken students to Nationals since 2012…One of my favorite parts of Nationals is watching students compete. Another fun thing to do is trading pins with members from other states and US territories.” 

This year the FCCLA National Conference will cost a hefty sum of money to attend. Frazier and Friberg plan to fundraise to help pay for the trip. Frazier said, “I plan on fundraising by hosting a cooking with kids class and a possible bake sale.” Friberg explained, “This year’s trip is especially expensive given the high cost of plane tickets.” 

Friberg is excited to take another student to nationals. According to Friberg, FCCLA nationals bring out the best in Fair Grove students, who have a track record of remarkable success on this grand stage. Friberg’s favorite part of attending nationals is sightseeing and enjoying different types of food that are difficult to find in Missouri. 

Frazier is also a regional officer in Missouri. Each state is divided into regions and Frazier is an officer in Region 10, Missouri’s biggest region. Frazier did not have to compete in a STAR Event to run for office but she was willing to take an extra workload to compete and run for office; she excelled in both, according to Friberg.