Track Season Gets Underway for Eagles

Alyssa Everett

Pictured – The Eagles and Lady Eagles running 400’s at track practice.

Austin Newman, Editor of Newspaper / Page Editor: Sports

The Eagles and Lady Eagles track teams have kicked off their 2015 track season with recent meets at Stockton, Strafford, Marshfield, and at home. The team has overall have placed well in these meets, with the boys placing top two in the previous three meets with the girls falling closely in line.

So far on the boys side, the Eagles have had several impress early on in the season. Among the competitors, Senior Rashawn Moore has placed first or second in both the 100 and 200. Freshmen Isaac Mauldin has also shown promise for the Eagles, as Boys Track Coach Mark Talbert says, “Mauldin has been right on Rashawn’s heals in those races usually placing just one spot behind him.  He is only a freshman and it is his first year competing in track so this is very encouraging.” Joe Caudle has impressed in the triple jump with a first place finish in a meet. Recently, Caudle and Austin Masters both broke the school record, in which Masters held previously in the 300m Hurdles.

“Gus Irvine and Chad Garoutte have both been impressive in their throwing, with Daniel Terry and Hayden Wingo also earning medals in previous meets,”says Talbert. Talbert also notes that the team’s relays have also done well in this season’s meets, shaving seconds off their time and working well on their hand offs.

On the girls side, the Lady Eagles have seen a few girls medal in their events. They include, Junior Jorden Stacey in pole vault and 200,  Junior Haley Stallings in hurdles and triple jump, Sophomore  Kelsey Brunkhorst in long jump, Freshman Sierra Anderjaska in Discuss and Shot Put, and Junior Bailey Weaver in hurdles.

“I feel our meets have went very well so far.  We have a smaller group of girls this year than we have had in the past.  Even with this small number we have been competing as a team and placing in each meet,” Says Girls Track Coach Tonya Peck. “My girls have been working hard and each and every one of them step up each meet.  I am enjoying our newcomers this season and love seeing them all work together to get better every day.”

The team will look to continue their success in upcoming meets at Strafford on April 21st, and then at Willard on April 23rd, before then attending the Southwest Baptist University Invitational on April 29th.