Red Ribbon Week Promotes Awareness and Encouragement

Sponsor Jon Foster encouraging students to participate in SADD Week. PHOTO BY JAYDEN KENSINGER

Garrett Newlin

We all feel it’s influence, whether or not we take direct part in it. Red Ribbon week is a week every October, geared towards encouraging students to stay drug and alcohol free. SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) is an organization devoted to the prevention of teen alcohol and drug use. They use Red Ribbon Week to help promote awareness about the dangers of abuse.
According to drugabuse.gov, fifty-eight percent of high-school seniors admitted to drinking alcohol last year. In addition, twenty-four percent admitted to using illicit drugs. Temptations to drink or smoke increase on a nights like Halloween, when it’s dark, and everybody’s wearing a mask so no one can tell who others are.
Most students see the week as a chance to dress up on the Halloween-themed days, like Jordan Van Nostrand (10), who says, “I supported Red Ribbon Week by dressing up for all the days of the week, and staying drug and alcohol free.” In addition to that, Kayla Hodges (10) said , “I think Red Ribbon Week is really a great thing to open awareness about drug and alcohol abuse, and encourage students to make better decisions.”
What’s your decision? Will you cave into temptation and decide you have the right to live your life, or will you pledge to stay safe and sober?