New Government Program Allows Schools To Hire Ex-Cons

Tyrone DeMarcus discusses with weights students, unfortunately this program will also be cut.

Ryan Odom

(Editor’s Note: This article was posted on April 1st as an April Fools joke. Since it is still being shared post-April 1st, we want to make sure that everyone knows this was a joke.)

On March 22, 2019, the government passed a law where inmates/ex-cons can work in schools for community service and Fair Grove Schools fully supports it. The final vote in the Senate was 54-44, with two senators that chose not to vote. The inmates/ex-cons will not be paid, but will be able to get community service hours. The argument is that it will help them integrate back into society and teach them good morals.

This choice is optional from school to school.  Strafford, Marshfield, Conway, and Buffalo all are embracing this program as well. When the school board voted on it, it was also a tough decision but school board member, Jeff Elliston, swayed the others to vote yes. Elliston said, “We need to think outside of our school and set a precedent for our kids. If we don’t show them how to care for others, they never will.”  

At the moment, the school is adding three of these people to the staff, one for the Elementary, Middle, and High School.  The school, of course, has taken safety into account and only taken in ex-cons who have committed minor felonies. One of them is Chris Watts, who is being assigned to Mrs. Huff’s Preschool class. He will be helping out just like the Senior A+ students do, helping with controlling and educating the students. Harley Maxwell, an A+ student in Mrs. Huff’s class stated, “I love Mr. Watts He is very good with the kids and has a special bond with him. I don’t think his past should condemn his future.”

Another one of the convicts is Michael Swango, who is helping out in Mrs. Harmon’s choir class, in the Middle School. He helps the students with their musical ability, being very talented himself. Swango added, “I’m thankful for the second chance.  I’ve seen what I’ve done wrong in my life and want to do everything I can to make up for my sins. I’ve always loved singing and plan on continuing in it after I’ve completed my hours.”  

The last ex-con is Tyrone DeMarcus, who is helping out Coach Voorhis in the Weight Room. Voorhis noted, “He is a big help and the kids really like him.”

This new change in our school is certainly going to be an experience.