S.A.D.D Kick Off Party Scores Major Points With Fair Grove Students

Haileigh Houston, Asst. Social Media

On August 22nd the 2014 S.A.D.D (Students Against Destructive Decisions) kick-off party was held in the high school gym. The event featured food and fun activities. T-shirts were also available for sale, the admittance fee consisted of club dues, which was 10 dollars. This year’s theme is “Don’t use pot.”

The students were given a chance to have fun and play games while meeting fellow S.A.D.D members. Kelli Oplotnik states, “ This was such a great way to spend my friday night.” The event featured activities and  games such as “big ball’ and noodle wars. Freshman Amanda Orr’s experience was possibly the most memorable of all. Orr exclaimed, “This big ball, I ran towards it and high school boys ran on the other side and hit at the same time. I fell to the floor and the ball ran over my body.” Students were offered snacks including pizza, cotton candy, fried oreos, and lots of candy. “My favorite part was the fried oreos,” explains Heather Duvall. Although this year’s kick off party was noticeably  smaller than last year’s, Mitchell Johnson ensures that it was much more fun than the previous year.

While the kickoff was designed to be fun, that wasn’t its main purpose.  “ The purpose was to get people interested In S.A.D.D,” explains Mitchell Johnson.“I would like this club to make a difference,” said S.A.D.D. sponsor, Mr. Foster. “I want there to be a noticeable difference between having S.A.D.D., and not having S.A.D.D. in Fair Grove.” Mr. Foster’s wish seems to be coming true with some students, including Carter Crews who said, “ S.A.D.D makes me more aware of destructive decisions.” If you do need help or are heading down the wrong path,”You know you have people to back you up,” explains Carter Crews.