Eagle's Eye

Fair Grove High School's Online Source for News

• We will be posting new articles weekly all school year!

Eagle's Eye

Eagle's Eye

Polls

What is your favorite summer activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

It’s an Honor to be in NHS

Photo provided by Amy Johnson
Stephanie Dunham, Amy Johnson, Nico Jenkins, and Collin Emery after volunteering for the Ronald McDonald House.

Fair Grove’s National Honor Society (NHS) is a club that focuses on students learning about serving others, maintaining a high GPA (grade point average), being a good student leader and representing the school.

Amy Johnson is the NHS teacher sponsor and also government teacher at Fair Grove High School. She explained why she chose to become the main sponsor, “We are a small school so every teacher gets an extra responsibility. When I first started at FG the librarian was in charge and I started helping her out. When she retired I just took over.”

She also gave some examples of what the NHS group is responsible for, “NHS runs the Coffee Shop, they participate in cooking dinner at the Ronald McDonald House, work at the Cystic Fibrosis walk, decorate/carve pumpkins for the community in October, volunteer at other local events.” They also run the Fall Blood Drive at Fair Grove High School. 

Tobie Garcia (11) joined NHS to strengthen her college application. She doesn’t have any specific role in NHS, but she said that she does whatever she can to help out.  She also said why she joined NHS, “It demonstrates leadership, and you are just to help with not expecting anything in return. It’s amazing to help people and seeing their smile is the best part of it all.”

Garcia explained why she loves being in NHS, “It’s such an amazing experience and the people in the group are also very supportive and always helping out with whatever is being needed.”

Johnson said why she loves NHS, “The student members of N.H.S. work really hard in school to become eligible just to join. Then they must maintain this throughout the rest of high school.”

Garcia said, “I would 100% recommend NHS to anybody who loves being in extracurricular activities, it brings people closer together. We also help our community with anything that we can do.”

Fair Grove’s National Honor Society students set examples of higher grade point averages and extracurriculars and having the ability to be able to balance both.