Eagle's Eye

Fair Grove High School's Online Source for News

• We will be posting new articles weekly all school year!

Eagle's Eye

Eagle's Eye

Polls

What is your favorite summer activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Champion Spirit: Fair Grove Spring Sports at Districts

Photo taken by Hannah Schwab
The Fair Grove High School Softball Team huddling at the mound at districts.

Spring sports had strong seasons, and districts are over and the results are in. Spring sports include, boys and girls track, baseball, softball, and girls soccer. 

Each of the five spring sports teams have played or competed in districts. 13 track girls qualified to state, and ten boys. The baseball team made it to the final round of districts, but lost to Forsyth 1-7. The softball team made it to the quarterfinals, losing to Lone Jack. The girls soccer team made it through the first round of districts, but lost to Laquey. 

The Fair Grove High School Boys and Girls Track Team have been working hard, with fifth grade teacher and track coach Michael Zanzie saying, “The season has gone amazing. We have competed in many high level meets trying to get our athletes prepared for championship season.”

This season has gone great thanks to hard work and dedication. Middle school science teacher and track coach, Lindsay Martin, stated, “This group of girls has done exactly what I have asked of them and they have been patient in their progress. They are peaking just at the right time. They have exceeded expectations and broken many school records.”

This season there has been lots of hard work, with two school records being broken. Zanzie said, “The boy’s 4 x 200 of Adrick Wilson, Carson Trussell, Liam Draper, Canyon Crowley broke the school record with a time of 1:31.25.  The girls 4 x 200 of Sage Crowley, Willow Buescher, Savannah Ipock, Brooke Daniels broke the school record with a time of 1:45.74.”

Canyon Crowley (11), Kellen Lair (11) and Michael Zanzie at a home track meet. (Photo taken by )

The Fair Grove High School Baseball team has also been playing hard this season. High school physical education teacher and baseball coach, William Reed, said, “Overall, we have had a successful season, in my opinion. Our schedule has been full of a lot of games against good competition. After the first week of the season, I felt like we really turned a corner competitively and are playing more to our potential.”

There is only one baseball senior this year, Kelson Radford. Reed is proud to have Radford on the team, saying, “Radford has a very unique story; He moved to Fair Grove from Glendale this school year. With the transfer, he did not gain eligibility until the week of our first game. It took a few games, but he has really proved to be an integral part of our team. He has settled into the lineup as one of our top hitters and is usually called upon to pitch in relief in key moments.”

The Fair Grove High School Softball Team had their last game of the regular season on April 30th. Intervention Instructor and High School Softball Coach, Tara Whetzel, said, “I have felt that our team has improved all season. There will always be ups and downs, but overall from our freshmen to seniors, our girls have worked hard and pushed one another to get better!”

There were three seniors on the softball team this year. Whetzel stated, “Our seniors are Faith Klindworth, Reagan Johnson, and Minna Morris. They are very patient and uplifting to our underclassmen, which creates an environment where our underclassmen can be themselves!”

The Fair Grove High School Girls Soccer Team played their final game on May 15th. Early Childhood Special Education Teacher and Soccer Coach Christa Miller said, “Our team is absolutely in a perpetual state of improvement. Everyday they show up and continue to work on improving their skills individually and as a team. I’m truly proud of this team and I don’t see our momentum stalling out any time soon.”

This year there are four seniors on the team this year. Miller said, “We have Alyssa Snitker who brings so much joy, positivity, energy and kindness to the team. Hailey Merillat has one of the best soccer Intelligent Quotient’s out on the field, as well as one of the best touches.” Miller added, “We also have Evyn Jones who brings all sorts of bubbly energy to the team. She always has a smile on her face and gives 100% out on the field. Stephanie Dunham has an amazing work ethic, which has been a great example for the team. She has great speed and a strong strike on the ball that has enabled her to take most of our goal kicks, free kicks, corners, etc.”