Eagle's Eye

Fair Grove High School's Online Source for News

• We will be posting new articles weekly all school year!

Eagle's Eye

Eagle's Eye

Polls

What is your favorite summer activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Teachers Guiding Students to Success

Photo taken by Desiree Labaw
Miley Strong and Lucas Clines working hard on their homework.

Every year the Fair Grove Middle School has days where students can stay after and get help from teachers with the different subjects and complete any missing work. 

The middle school makes the after school study to where students are able to see different teachers for the subject they need help on or need to ask a question. Jennifer Anglen, a middle school social studies teacher at Fair Grove, stated, “Homework Academy is an after school session where students can get assistance on school work.” 

Some students aren’t able to come before school to get help, and students with after school sports can find it more difficult for them to get the help they need. Students are able to come in on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Along with that Wednesday is an additional day you can go in to get help with math.

Kayla Holt, an 8th grade english teacher at Fair Grove Middle School, explained, “The time that school activities start and end depend on the activity, and/or the teacher that sponsors the activity.” 

Holt commented, “Some activities are before school, beginning at 7 am and ending at 7:45 am, while other activities are after school and end between 4:30 or 5 pm.”

Kasey Sekulic, a middle school math teacher at Fair Grove, mentioned, “Students who stay after for those programs often raise their grades significantly, as they are often working on missing assignments, correcting tests they did not do well on, or catching up from absences.”

Anglen furthermore added, “This time allows our students to complete the missing assignments, have extended time to finish work that requires technology, and give space where they can receive assistance/ reteaching can take place.”

Sekulic said, “I stay after on Tuesdays, Ms. Orr stays on Wednesdays, and Mrs. Winterberg on Thursdays. Flight school is available one to two times per quarter, usually towards the end grading period.”

Anglen expressed, “The students that stay accomplish a lot when they are here. Quality of work improves when they are able to get additional help and finish work they were unable to do during the school day and feel unable to at home.”

As a result of students coming to these after school activities, Holt mentioned, “Students that come to after school activities and put forth effort have seen an improvement in academics and socially/emotionally.” 

The Fair Grove Middle School will continue to host after school studies for students needing help with their school work on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.