Eagle's Eye

Fair Grove High School's Online Source for News

• We will be posting new articles weekly all school year!

Eagle's Eye

Eagle's Eye

Polls

What is your favorite summer activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Joint Spirit Weeks are ‘Fire’!

Photo taken by Desiree Labaw
Performance of The Outsiders on 11/2. (From left to right: Collin Shea (10), Nico Jenkins (12), Cheyenne Todd (9), Aaron Faucett (12) and Anna Moffis (10).

On October 31st through November 3rd, Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD), Student Council, and Fair Grove Speech and Theater (FGST) hosted a spirit week for Red Ribbon week, and to promote FGST’s production of The Outsiders.

The spirit week consisted of Character Day (10/31), Anything but a Backpack (11/1), Fire Fit Day (11/2), and Soc v Greaser Day or Decades Day (11/3). 

Many students and faculty members dressed up to show spirit, including Stephanie Dunham (12). Dunham explains, “Personally my favorite spirit day was when everyone wore their Halloween costumes. I had dressed up as Violet from the Incredibles.”

Nico Jenkins (12) expressed, “My favorite day was definitely Fire Fit day because everyone got the chance to show off their favorite outfits!”

Addison Zittle (12) also enjoyed Fire Fit Day, “…We got to dress however we felt, comfortable or confident, and I truly believe it was a day to just express yourself. I personally wore pjs.”

Nico Jenkins played the lead in The Outsiders, Ponyboy Curtis. Jenkins explained the purpose of the spirit week, “This spirit week advertised for the theater’s production of The Outsiders, and was a part of SADD’s Red Ribbon week. Although the characters in the play did not avoid destructive decisions, we hoped that students in our school would avoid following in the character’s footsteps.”

Stephanie Dunham is the Student Council president. Dunham gave some insight about the spirit week, “The reason why we had this week’s spirit week was because of the Theatre department showing the Outsiders, and for publicity purposes.” She continued, “It was asked if Student Council could join in on the spirit week for Theatre along with letting them utilize our bulletin board to spread the word. Of course, we had said yes, because this was an opportunity to support and help build up an activity within the student body.”

Many people enjoyed dressing up. Jenkins exclaimed, “I think this spirit week was super fun, and I loved working with other club leaders to make the spirit days. I think clubs working together in the future will give spirit weeks more exposure and we can hopefully get more people participating!”

There are chances of future joint spirit weeks. Addison Zittle, the director of The Outsiders, explained, “I believe we might (have another joint spirit week), it brought awareness to so many things all at once and involved so many people.”

Jenkins said, “I would love to do more joint spirit weeks! You might stay on the lookout for another joint spirit week this spring.”

The Middle School production of “An Absolutely True Story: Told by a Bunch of Lying Liars” on December 6th and 7th.