Eagle's Eye

Fair Grove High School's Online Source for News

• We will be posting new articles weekly all school year!

Eagle's Eye

Eagle's Eye

Polls

What is your favorite summer activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Giving Thanks to the Seniors

Photo taken by Gavin Brock
Fair Grove Elementary Singing Eagles performing at the Senior Luncheon

On November 17, Fair Grove hosted its annual Senior Luncheon in the high school gymnasium. Senior members of the community came together and were served a Thanksgiving meal along with musical entertainment. 

While the school principal is in charge of running the event, many other school groups are involved as well. High school principal, Christian Overstreet, shared, “The FGHS choir, Mrs. Lumley’s 1st grade classes, the FGHS jazz combo group, Singing Eagles, and the High School and Middle School kitchen staff all helped at the event.”

Dr. Overstreet explained, “Our seniors have played a vital part in building the great community in which we live, supporting our school and student involvement, and being mentors and role models for generations below.” 

Fair Grove hosts the luncheon to recognize and appreciate the senior citizens of the town. Dr. Overstreet explained. “This lunch is a small token to say thank you and that we appreciate all that they have done for our school district and community.”

While many groups were involved with helping at the event, the NJHS (also known as National Junior Honor Society) played a very big part. Carrie Green, a middle school English teacher and the sponsor for NJHS stated, “We talk about proper etiquette and how to engage in conversation [as well as planned] the decorations and coordinate with the elementary for placemats and other fun Thanksgiving decor that they provide.”

“The NJHS students are in charge of setting up the tables and decorating the gym for the luncheon. We assist the cooks and set the tables for the feast,” shared Green. “Finally, the students greet the guests, escort them to a table, and serve them food and drinks. The students also cleanup after the event is over.”

This year the senior luncheon had a record of 150 community members in attendance. Green shared, “I’m always extremely proud of the students with how they interact with the guests and host this event. We always receive many compliments!”