Eagle's Eye

Fair Grove High School's Online Source for News

• We will be posting new articles weekly all school year!

Eagle's Eye

Eagle's Eye

Polls

What is your favorite summer activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Harvesting Excellence; Future Farmers of America Week

Photo taken by Fair Grove News
FFA Students in the Agriculture building eager to learn.

Throughout the week of February 17th to the 24th was the national Future Farmers of America  Week. At Fair Grove High School, this week is highly celebrated with rejoicing in the future of farmers and the agriculture that is woven behind it. 

Fair Grove’s FFA president is Alyssa Snitker (12), who is responsible for many duties including leading the program. “As FFA President, I have several jobs. Some of those include making meeting agendas, leading our chapter meetings, as well as helping our officers organize and plan events. I enjoy being president and the jobs that come with it,” explained Snitker.

Snitker expressed why FFA week is important to her by stating, “For me, FFA week is a way to display our pride for agriculture. Most people often overlook the importance of agriculture, even though they use it everyday. Personally, I think it is super meaningful to be able to celebrate what all happens everyday of the year.” 

The agriculture teachers in the program at Fair Grove are Matt Crutcher and Cole Johnston. Crutcher has been at Fair Grove teaching for nearly 24 years whilst Johnson has taught for five years. The multiple classes and broadness of the FFA program allows students to indulge their knowledge in agriculture, and eventually find a future and passion in it for themselves. 

Not only was it FFA spirit week, the week consisted of participating in special themes to contribute to each school day. Aiden Baxter (11) explained, “Tuesday was Tractor Day along with Red, White, and Blue Day. Wednesday was FFA Jacket Day. Thursday was Denim Day, and Friday was Fancy Friday.” 

At Fair Grove FFA is a large program with many students involved in its activities. Mr. Crutcher described, “We have a very large group this year with over 160 members. We have had several activities and several members have had success exhibiting livestock and competing in public speaking contests.”

Crutcher concluded by describing why he thinks FFA is important to Fair Grove students, “FFA teaches several important life skills ranging from leadership and public speaking to where your food comes from to basic mechanical skills. It gives students factual information rather than the opinions that they find on the internet and social media.” 

As the FFA week wrapped up, it reminded the FFA student body and the school that their group is implemented in life everyday and is an important part of Fair Grove’s community. FFA reflects the future of many, and is a career outlet for any student looking for opportunities.