Eagle's Eye

Fair Grove High School's Online Source for News

• We will be posting new articles weekly all school year!

Eagle's Eye

Eagle's Eye

Polls

What is your favorite summer activity?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Eagles Rhyming with Reason

Photo taken by Waylon Wright
Erica Feith (11) reading one of her poems to the Poetry Club.

Every other Thursday Fair Grove High School students participate in Poetry Club. This club allows students to freely express their creativity and emotions through poetic writing. 

Since 2019 poetry club has helped students express themselves in many ways. Joseph Florez, an English teacher at Fair Grove High School stated, “About five years ago I had a handful of students who were doing some creative writing on their own, and of course as an English teacher I wanted to encourage that and help those kids sharpen their writing skills.”

The club participates in all sorts of activities. Florez stated, “Sometimes I will have a video from Button Poetry on youtube, or some other source, that we’ll watch and discuss. Most every poetry club meeting, we have a writing prompt, and then some time to write, and finally a chance for anyone who wants to read aloud what they wrote.”

“I think one of my favorite things about Poetry Club is seeing the growth of student writers throughout the year, and my other favorite thing is seeing the camaraderie and positivity that comes from hyping up each others’ writing; the earned respect that we gain for each other as writers,” said Florez.

Poetry Club has made memorable moments for many different students of Fair Grove. Madyson Christiano (11) stated, “My favorite memory from Poetry Club would have to be when we jokingly made fun of Erica, another student in the club, for her poems even though she is an amazing writer.”

The club gives students an outlet to express themselves with the power of writing. Christiano said, “My favorite aspect of Poetry Club is being able to freely express myself through poetry.”

Florez mentioned, “Being a good writer, to me, means being a good thinker and a good communicator, and I just think those are just such important traits to have.” 

Different students have different takeaways from the club. Some students use the club as an outlet for emotions through writing. Mattilee Wilson (11) said, “My favorite aspect about Poetry Club is how creative and supportive everyone is. You could share a really small poem, or a really sad one, even ones that aren’t finished. Yet, the others will complement each other and point out rhymes and lines that they enjoyed.”

Every other Thursday, Poetry Club is held in Mr. Florez’s room and it is open to all students willing to express their writing creativity.